Saturday, November 6, 2010

Nora Roberts' Blood Brothers: A Spooky Review


I have been reading Nora Roberts books ever since I was about 14. I have read all her romances whether it be her contemporaries, her forays into historical and even the Harlequin novels. I have enjoyed most of her novels (there are a few that I didn't like but this isn't one of them). So I knew that Nora has a dark side to her, come on now we all do, but when I read through this novel it brought images of Stephen King, psychotic nightmares and the Grudge to mind. I mean come on there is a creepy kid running around with sharp teeth, long dark hair and red eyes. There is blood dripping out of trees instead of sap and people dancing while blood pours on them. One spooky ass read!

Now imagine me trying to sleep after that? It ain't happening!

This novel starts out innocent enough with three kids going camping in the woods to push the boundaries on their 10th birthday. (10 people, that means they were 9 when they went into the woods with beer!) So after you get beyond children drinking and smoking you get to the root of the problem, the kids opened up a portal and out came a demon who terrorizes the town every seven years on the seventh day of the seventh month. (July). People kill each other, people kill themselves, animals mysteriously die, people go chaotic. Kinda like an M. Night Shyamalan movie, only with love and sex scenes. Well this is book one, so it focuses on a writer named Quinn who comes to town to dig into the lore and legends and the mystery that is Cal's small town. (Cal was one of the kids, ok?) So we got grinning demons with their faces pressed against the windows and blood...good grief, don't get me started. Anyway, the two of course fall in love (it's a freakin' romance novel so don't act like I shocked you and ruined the end) but it cuts you off at the end and then you got to go scrambling for book 2 which is The Hollows. I have it somewhere in the house I know I bought it, no I just got to find it so I know what happens with Fox. (Fox is another boy, well...man now).

I will say this, Ms. Roberts scared the bejesus out of me and now I can't sleep so I'm writing about it here. I did enjoy the book, it was heavy in the spook factor and you couldn't help but like the characters, and feel sorry for others.

Excerpt is here (this is from her website so no one needs to think I'm out infringing on copyrighted stuff.

From Nora's website: "In the town of Hawkins Hollow, it’s called The Seven. Every seven years, on the seventh day of the seventh month, strange things happen. It began when three young boys—Caleb, Fox, and Gage—went on a camping trip to The Pagan Stone. And twenty-one years later, it will end in a showdown between evil and the boys who have become men, and the women who love them."

Author: Nora Roberts (website)
Print Type: Soft Cover Book
Romance Type: Paranormal, Horror
How Hot: 5 out of 5 scares

No comments: