Saturday, June 10, 2017

Camper Remodel Update 3


Ah yes, the UPDATE. The one place where I dump everything I'm doing on you, my readers. I have a few things to report some good, some not so good. So onward we move.

My Camper. Ahhhh, my Camper. I still haven't decided on a name for her, so if you have suggestions comment below. Right now she's a money pit. I started taking all the drawers and doors down to get them ready to paint and I noticed with a heavy heart that there is a massive ton of dry rot. I didn't even see it for all the weird and odd pieces of wood they had screwed everywhere but once I started removing things, the damage became apparent. I'm going to have to completely rebuild the front of the camper. All of the wood around the door and the windows are water damaged. The actual counter top? Destroyed on the back end. Underneath the cabinet is atrocious.

You can almost see through the floor under there. It's bad. REALLY bad. The only way to replace the floor under there is to take out the counter completely. Which isn't honestly a bad idea after I saw how bad it was. The back of the camper isn't like that. It's dirty sure, and needs paint and the floor needs to be fixed but it does not have all the dry rot the front of it does. So it's going to cost me more money. Thankfully though a lovely friend of mine said he's done this before and can assure me that he will come and help me once I have the wood he recommended. He says I should not use OSB as it is cheap and will need to be replaced. Instead he said I should get some very nice thing plywood so I won't have to replace it so often. I see what he means, this is such a big overhaul that I can completely see WHY I wouldn't want to do this again in a few years.

I'm pretty bummed about this as I need more money before I can do what needs to be done and money is something I just don't have right now. I'll just do the best I can with what I got.

I did get most of the drawers and doors taken out. Now I'm not so sure if I want to even consider putting them back in as they are completely horrible. Maybe I can pick up some doors somewhere cheap and just take a piece of OSB and cut the doors back the way they were for a new face. Ideas? Suggestions?

No comments: