Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The Interview: Part Four

"You're hired." Stephanie's mouth dropped open in shock at those words. The man hadn't even examined her portfolio, she wondered if he even knew her name. Sure he had her resume right in front of him but he hadn't taken one glance at it the entire time she had been in the room.


"Excuse me, sir?" She was finding it hard to believe that the man would hire her without seeing what she could do, it was strange that he would even throw that out there, she was going to have to tread carefully with him.

"I said 'You are hired', Ms. Ramy." He raised his eyebrows "Unless you are turning us down..." He trailed off at the end of his sentence.

"Mr. Sutherland, wouldn't you first like to see my portfolio, perhaps interview me?"

"No, I already know you can sew, that very tailored suit you are wearing is not off the rack and it is made of very fine fabric probably purchased here in NY, also you seem to have a very firm grip on what you want. You didn't cower when I pushed you, and that is hard to find in this industry. I trust that you will be able to begin your duties tomorrow?" He began writing on a tablet in front of him, not looking at her anymore, Stephanie breathed in shakily, unable to believe this was happening. Finally, her big break. She reached into her Portfolio and pulled out a sketch pad. She stood up and laid the pad in front of him on his desk.

"Yes, I will be here tomorrow, just point me towards the Human Resources department so I can fill out the paperwork. In front of you is the project I've been working on for about six months now. It's a line of lingerie for woman sized 12 and up. Your company creates beautiful things for very specific clientele. I would love to see that expanded upon and created for women who are normal sized. I would love to call it All4You and start the line out in basic black then expand to include other colors. Women who aren't a size 2 or even size 10 find it hard to find beautiful lingerie that doesn't make them look or feel like a circus act. I believe this line will open more doors for your company and also show them that no matter what size you are, beautiful is definitely in."

Jared looked at the pad in front of him, opened it to the first page and slowly smiled. On the page was a full-sized woman wearing a peek-a-boo black lace nightie trimmed in red velvet. It also had a matching pair of high waisted underwear that had boning in it to taper out her waist and push up her breasts. It was an awesome look, complete with red velvet gloves.

"Yes...I see you have been a diligent worker, and bold, too, to show me this before you start working. Most new hires wait at least 2 years before bringing forth their own designs. But this...I like this. I will keep this, you bring me a sample next week. Welcome to the team, Ms. Ramy." He stood up, shook her hand and handed her the piece of paper he had written for her. It was a note to someone named Hildy. "Give that to the receptionist out front, she will get you to our HR department.

Stephanie shook his hand and turned to leave. But stopped. she turned her head and said, "Thank you, Mr. Sutherland, you won't be disappointed in me or my line."

"No, Ms. Ramy, I doubt I will." He tilted his head to her and flipped her pad to the next page. He tilted his head as he studied the second sketch in front of him.

Stephanie quickly left shutting the door behind her, it took everything in her power not to begin jumping up and down. The severe blond from earlier looked up from her desk. "Ahh, I knew he would like you!" She exclaimed with a smile, standing and walking toward Stephanie.

---------
Don't miss the other installments:

Part Five
Part Six
Part Seven
Part Eight
Part Nine
Part Ten
---------

Also please feel free to contact me via email or even post on this blog what you think! Do you think Stephanie is going to do well? Do you think she's going to fall on her face? Let me know!