Sunday, January 28, 2018

Book Review: Last Stop in Brooklyn by Lawrence H. Levy



I received Last Stop in Brooklyn; A Mary Handley Mystery which was written by Lawrence H. Levy and I know it's a bit different than my usual books but I liked the book blurb. It promised a kick-ass heroine and if you've read my reviews before you know I greatly enjoy a strong female character.

This is the third installment to Levy's Mary Handley Mystery series.

It started out a bit slow. A lot of names thrown together in the first chapter that had me rereading to make sure I got all the characters right in my head. As I moved from the first chapter and into other chapters I realized that this book is a mishmash of history in an unfocused story. There were so many segways in the main story that I had difficulties staying with it. The more I read the more confused I became and once I lost track of the placement of the storyline I gave up. It really is a shame because I liked the heroine but I couldn't finish the book. I would say this needs a boatload of editing. The author was very heavy-handed. For example, the mother is talking to Mary in one scene and keeps referring to her brother, but the author makes sure the mother says "your brother, Sean" (I honestly don't even remember if that's the brother's name I was introduced to about 15 characters in the first 2 chapters.) It didn't allow my imagination to fly with the story, it felt forced or like someone had all this information they were trying to cram in. With good books there isn't that forced feeling, it just flows. There was 0 flow to this novel.

Sadly I do not recommend it. I hate when I have to write a bad review. I received this book from Blogging for Books for this review.

Book: Last Stop in Brooklyn
Author: Lawrence H. Levy
Print Type: Soft Cover Book 
Page Count:  305
Book Type: Mystery/Historical/Women's Fiction

Do you want to buy this book? It's available on Amazon!  It has a price of $10.06 for soft cover or $9.99 for the Kindle version.



No comments: