Monday, June 19, 2017

Autographs: Tips and Tricks



Here are some tips and tricks that I haven't given you in previous posts in regards to my Autograph Collecting.

You're going to want to send out some 8x10s. I know I do. The 8x10's I send out are usually because I really am a huge fan of that person. If you use the regular Manila envelopes you'll find that the tabs can damage your photos. THAT SUCKS. It really does. There are envelopes that don't have the tabs, that instead have a sticky adhesive, but you'll find those are much more expensive and if you're like me...you have limited funds for this particular hobby. I save my money where I can.

Here is how you can save your photos from the dreaded tab puncture wounds.

1. Open up the inside of the envelope you will see the metal tab ends sticking out. That is what damages the photo. The way they stick out punctures the photo and can scratch if it moves around.

2. Cover it up! Use tape. Washi tape, Stickers. Whatever that will stick well and not come off to cause damage to your photos. This keeps the photo from becoming scratched or punctured. MAKE SURE YOU DO THIS TO BOTH YOUR OUTGOING AND RETURNING ENVELOPES.


Do not use bubbled envelopes. That's a quick way to get your photos all wrinkled up. I've never gotten a successful perfect autograph in a bubbled envelope. They are usually wrinkled pretty badly.


Another tip is in regards to finding addresses or PR and Management info. Look for press releases. I kid you not. Press releases are where you can find a TON of information. Press releases have gotten me a lot of great responses or they can point me in the right direction.

If you are sending photos, sign up for Shutterfly, Snapfish, CVS Photo and Walgreens Photo. They run sales all the time. Freebies and cheap photos galore.

I've heard that people have spent upwards of $15 per request. That is way too excessive. I get my photos for free or cheap, I buy envelopes (standard at the Dollar Tree 40 in a box for $1 or at Walmart 40 in a box for .97). Stamps are .49 each. So let's say I use 2 4x6's (which were free), two standard envelopes (2 would be a total of .05) and two stamps. 1 to get there and 1 to get back. That's a total of $1.03. Typically I send out 10 requests (if I'm only using 4x6s) because I'm limited to 1 book of stamps a month. That is pretty cool. I can fit about 3 4x6s in there with the return envelope and the letter of request. So that's about 30 photos signed if I get all 10 envelopes back.

I typically only use TTM addresses that are proven. To ensure at least an 80% chance.

I do try new TTM addresses, though it's very rare simply because I want to ensure successes.

You also may be asking me what all these abbreviations mean.

TTM - Through the mail
SASE - Self Addressed Stamped Envelope
LOR - Letter of Request
RTS - Return to Sender
SP - Signed Photo
PP - Preprint
PS - Presigned
ISP - Inscribed Signed Photo
IC - Index Card
TC - Trading Card

So if someone types "I sent a SASE, LOR, IC and 3 4x6s. Received ISPs, IC and PS photo."

What they just said, "I sent a self-addressed stamped envelope, letter of request, index card and 3 4x6 photos, received inscribed signed photos, signed index cards and an additional pre-signed photo."

Do you have any questions? Feel free to ask in the comments below!


If you are interested in my other Autograph posts please check out the links below!

Autographs: How to Request Autographs Through Email + My Favorites!
Autographs: How to Request a Playbill + My Playbills
Autographs: How to Find Celebrity Addresses
How to Request Autographs Through the Mail


No comments: